SAN DIEGO -- The Padres' efforts to boost a weak offense has led them to two very unlikely players -- a two-time National League All-Star http://www.lagalaxysoccershop.com/ slugger and also a former American League Rookie of the Year.
Last week, the Padres http://www.capitalsplayershop.com/ accepted a five-player trade with the Dodgers of which got them Matt Kemp, though the deal has yet to be released.
On Wednesday, first-year general manager A.J. Preller swung big again, now landing Wil Myers from the Rays included in a wild 11-player, three-team deal between the Padres, Excellent and Rays, a hockey source confirmed to Baseball.com.
The deal is pending physicals and the teams have yet to validate.
• Mayo breaks down every gamer http://www.hockeythrowbackshop.com/ in http://www.mlsplayershop.com/ the deal
Wil Myers, OF (from TB)
Ryan Hanigan, C (from TB)
Gerardo Reyes, RHP (from TB)
Jose Castillo, LHP (from TB)
Steven Souza, OF (from WSH)
Rene Rivera, Chemical (from SD)
Jake Bauers, 1B http://www.bayernmunchenplayershop.com/ (from SD)
Burch Smith, RHP (coming from SD)
Travis Ott, LHP (from WSH)
Joe Ross, RHP (from http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Miami_Marlins_Uniform_Shop SD)
Player to become named (Trea Turner, SS) (from SD)
In addition to Myers, this Padres received Minor League pitchers Jose Castillo in addition to Gerardo Reyes and catcher Ryan Hanigan from the Rays, while trading away Slight League pitcher Joe Ross along with http://www.bluesplayershop.com/ a player to be named, believed http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Philadelphia_Phillies_Uniform_Shop to be shortstop Trea Turner, to the Nationals. Turner, the Padres' prime pick in this past June's First-Year Participant Draft, can't be traded until next June.
San Diego furthermore traded catcher Rene Rivera, pitcher Burch Smith along with first baseman Jake Bauers to the Radiation.
For the Padres, the trade ended up being all about getting Myers, the 24-year-old exactly who first tore http://www.blackhawksplayerjersey.com through the Royals' method, was traded to the Radiation and became the AL Newbie of the Year in 2013. His or her '14 season was waylaid by a broken right wrist, limiting your pet to 87 games.
But this can be a cost-controlled bat Preller looked to add to the actual offense, which could get another bat soon, as the workforce is awaiting the dividends http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_New_York_Mets_Uniform_Shop on Kemp's physical before shifting ahead with the deal arranged last week.Brock on latest along with Kemp Corey Brock on impact of Shiny Kemp with PadresMLB.com Padres reporter Corey Brock examines the latest on the team's likely trade http://www.mlbplayershop.com/ for Matt Kemp and the way it could impact its outfield
Landing Myers, which turned 24 on Dec. 10, and pairing him with Kemp could give the team's indolent offense from this past time a significant boost for 2015. The actual Padres ranked last in football in about every pertinent unpleasant category, and they dismissed hammering coach Phil Plantier after the season.
After becoming honored as the top rookie in 2013, the right wrist injury hampered Myers with '14, as he hit .222/.294/.320 using six home runs and also 35 RBIs in 361 plate looks.
Streamer projections on FanGraphs put Myers on http://www.mufcplayerjersey.com/ .251/.327/.418 with 21 home works and 72 RBIs, though that had been if he remained with all the Rays. Dan Szymborski's ZiPS predictions have Myers at .266/.335/.441 with the Padres, like an OPS+ of http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Minnesota_Twins_Uniform_Shop 121 and a 2.5 WAR (Wins Previously mentioned Replacement).
This is the second key trade these two teams have made this year. In January, below different GMs, the Padres and Rays combined for a seven-player deal in which sent pitchers Jesse Hahn and Alex Torres to be able to San Diego.
In Myers, Preller has landed the amount of player that he has discussed this offseason: a cost-controlled position person. Myers wouldn't be eligible for free agency until after http://www.intermilanplayershop.com/ the 2019 season.
This may be the second time Myers has been dealt. He was dealt through the Royals to the Rays within December 2012 in the package that sent pitcher James Shields to the Royals. Myers put in the first half of 2013 actively playing in the Minor Leagues ahead of joining the Rays inside June.
Myers' struggles this past time of year can't all be blamed on the particular wrist injury, as he struggled before it and http://www.canadiensplayerjersey.com/ then attack .213 after returning from the Defensive line. But his sample dimension at the big league degree remains small, his reputation in the Minor Leagues seemed to be good, and the Padres, apparently, sensed there's a lot of upside.
Hanigan, who attack .218 in 2014 with the Rays, may split catching duties http://www.chelseaplayerstore.com/ with Tim Federowicz, a piece in the Kemp take care of the Dodgers, unless the team can make another deal.
Castillo, an 18-year-old left-hander, features a 5.60 ERA in his first 35 1/3 professional innings. http://www.nationalsoccershirt.com/ Reyes is really a 21-year-old right-hander who had a 4.2009 ERA in 33 innings inside low-Class A last season.
After the addition of Myers -- so when the Kemp deal becomes established -- the Padres will have a real outfield conundrum on their hands, with six to eight outfielders under contract, all producing well above the Major Group minimum for next season.
Kemp and also Myers -- who has primarily played appropriate field in http://www.uefaclubjersey.com -- now join Cameron Maybin, Will Venable, Carlos Quentin and Seth Henderson in what has suddenly turn into crowded picture.
The club might, of course, move one of those gamers, with the left-handed-hitting Smith being the most engaging and affordable ($6.5 trillion) piece for most clubs. Quentin as well as Maybin each stand to make http://www.realmadridplayershop.com/ $8 mil in 2015, though they would end up being tough to move.
But in terms of getting Kemp and now Myers, Preller has stuck in order to his guns and strung onto the top three hands in his starting rotation -- deciding to build around Tyson Ross, Andrew Cashner and Ian Kennedy and make a run in the http://www.ncaaplayershop.com/ Nationwide League West. On Tuesday, the group added Brandon Morrow on a one-year deal with your hopes he'll win a rotation spot.
Preller talked yesterday at the Winter Meetings about trying to keep the starting pitching intact and the prospect of adding offense without sacrificing selling.
'If you have an imbalance right now, ensure flip to too far the opposite way,' he said. 'We are trying to get more of a balanced team, and I think an ideal world is always to leave [manager Bud Black] with enough selling and try to find a way to get a few more bats.'
Landing Kemp and Myers has attained that, and the http://www.lakingsplayershop.com/ might not be completed. They've had discussions along with teams about acquiring corner-infield aid.
What might have made this deal easier, at least in terms of moving prospects -- which is never an easy selection for a general manager or a the front office -- is that Preller, who was hired in August, had no actual sentimental attachment to any from the players in the system http://www.juventusplayershop.com/ and viewed them as commodities.
'Sometimes you get http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Oakland_Athletics_Uniform_Shop too close. In hindsight on some of the players with all the Rangers ... you look back into it with a little different lens now,' Preller said last week.
Still, the actual Padres moved some notable portions to get Myers. Turner was the Padres' No. 5 prospect, according to Baseball.com, while Ross was No. 7, Bauers was No. 14 and Johnson was No. 16.
Joe Ross, 21, was the 25th overall choose in the 2011 First-Year Player Draw up. He has a 15-18 mark and also a 3.90 ERA as part of his first 299 2/3 professional innings, and he may begin the season in Double-A.
Bauers, Nineteen, was drafted http://www.lightningplayershop.com/ in the in 7th place round in 2013 along a breakout year in the State League in '14, hitting http://www.asmonacoplayershop.com/ .296/.376/.414 along with eight home runs and also 64 RBIs.
Burch Smith, 24, ended up being an undervalued 14th-round pick this year. He made his big league debut in 2013, going 1-3 with a 6.44 Time in 36 1/3 innings. He in fact made his Major Category debut on the road against the Rays on May 11 of this year, and didn't allow it to become out of the second inning.
http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Los_Angeles_Angels_of_Anaheim_Uniform_Shop missed most of this past season with a flexor muscle issue in his right arm. He pitched in the Arizona Fall League, going 3-0 that has a 5.52 ERA with 14 2/3 innings.
Turner, the 13th all round pick in the 2014 Draft away from North Carolina State, had a large pro debut, hitting the combined .323/.406/.448 in two Minor Group stops. He then impressed within the taxi squad in the Arizona Fall League, hitting 400 in http://www.jordangearshop.com/.
After a stint involving 14 games for the Indians in 1933, 21-year-old Hal Trosky played in 154 of the Tribe's contests the following year and set an imprint that few rookies have ever been in the position to match.
Collecting 206 hits, Trosky sent Fifth thererrrs 89 of them for extra-bases, drove in 142 runs, and compiled 374 overall bases. No other rookie has ever had that many extra-base hits, simply one -- Tony Oliva in 1964 -- has matched that mark for total bases. Two other rookies -- Walt Dropo (144 in 1950) and http://www.barcelonaplayershop.com/ Ted Williams (145 in 1939) -- have got surpassed the RBI total.
Trosky and Williams are linked in another way far too as they are two of three rookies in Major League history -- as well as http://www.blackhawksplayergear.com Albert Pujols in 2001 -- to obtain at least 30 doubles, 35 home runs and 100 RBIs in their debut season. That is the kind of company looming in the not-so-distant foreseeable future for White Sox rookie Jose Abreu, http://www.saintgermainplayershop.com/ that needs just four doubles and 17 RBIs before the 2014 season's end to join Trosky, Williams, and Pujols during this 30-30-100 club.
On Wednesday, Jose Abreu singled, doubled along with homered while driving in four runs in the White Sox 11-4 conquer the Tigers. He now has 31 home runs on the season.
• His 31 http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_New_York_Yankees_Uniform_Shop homers through his first 92 career video games tie him with Rudy York for the second most in history, behind Mark McGwire and his Thirty three.
• At 31, Abreu is attached (with Williams in 1939, Jim Ray Hart in 1964 and Tim Salmon in 1993) for that 18th most by a newbie. Next up, at 32: Oliva (1964), Matt Nokes (1987), and Frank Young (2007).
• Abreu's 83 RBIs via his first 92 vocation games are the most for virtually any White Sox player since 1914, exceeding Zeke Bonura's 81. Since 1914, the total may be the fifth highest, behind Wally Dropo's 95, Rudy York's 94, Joe DiMaggio's 90 and Williams' 87.
• Abreu's 58 extra-base hits through his first 92 career games are the subsequent most since 1914, behind DiMaggio's Sixty four. • Abreu's three hits extended his or her hitting streak to 18 games -- the second time in 2010 http://www.blackhawksplayeruniform.com/ he has hit safely throughout 18 straight. According to the White-colored Sox press notes, he is your second White Sox player with a number of 18-game (or longer) streaks a single season, joining Eddie Collins. In 1920, Collins authored a 21-game and a 22-game hitting streak.
South Siders near southpaw history
Chicago's Jose Quintana improved to 6-7 as he allowed two runs throughout six innings in the White Sox wow the Tigers. The 25-year-old southpaw owns a 3.15 ERA this http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Milwaukee_Brewers_Uniform_Shop, for a 126 ERA+. With his teammate and fellow 25-year-old portsider Chris Sale made owning a 1.88 Age (210 ERA+), these two could do something of which hasn't been seen too often. Inside baseball history, there's been a couple pairs of left-handed throwing teammates, at their age-25 or younger season, being approved for the ERA title and posting an ERA+ of at least One hundred twenty-five. The Pirates' Jesse Tannehill and Rube Waddell completed this feat in 1900, and the Athletics' Mark Mulder and Craig Zito did this 2001-03.
Jones flashing http://www.penguinsplayershop.com/ strength from center
In an Orioles win, Adam Smith hit his 20th great hit -- the fourth straight season he's reached the mark. Jones could be the first center fielder in team history to have at least 30 in four straight times, http://www.anaheimducksplayershop.com/ eclipsing the three straight put together by Fred Lynn, who hit just 23 in 1985-87.
• Blue Jays right-hander Marcus Stroman increased to 7-2 with a 3.03 ERA as he allowed one particular run in seven innings as http://www.arsenalplayershop.com/ well as Toronto defeated Boston, 4-2. The actual 23-year-old rookie owns a One hundred thirty five ERA+ in 16 games (11 starts). There have been 21 Blue Jays rookies to make at least 12-15 starts, http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Los_Angeles_Dodgers_Uniform_Shop with the highest ERA+ most notable belonging to Juan Guzman, who posted the 142 in 1991.
Cole Hamels hurled eight innings associated with six-hit, no-walk, eight-strikeout ball and came absent a winner in the Phillies 6-0 victory on the Mets.
• Hamels owns a 2.55 Period, which works out to a 145 ERA+. In 2008, he submitted a career high 141 ERA+. There are about three Phillies southpaws to have multiple qualifying times with an ERA+ of at least 140: Dorrie Carlton (1972, 1977, 1980-81), Eppa Rixey (1912 and 1916), and Bob Short (1964 and http://www.atleticomadridplayershop.com/).
• With this latest effort, Hamels improved upon his K:BB ratio to 3.41. In each of the past a few seasons, Hamels has finished 4 seasons with a ratio of at least 4-to-1. There are four left-handers in history to have four or five straight seasons qualifying for the ERA title while stopping with a K:BB ratio for at least four: Cliff Lee (6 in a row), Sandy Koufax (four), Randy Manley (four) and Johan Santana (four).
Rays using a roll
Alex Cobb fanned 12 in eight innings connected with three-hit ball and the Rays overcome the Brewers, 5-1. Tampa Clean has won 11 regarding 12 and 29 involving 41. In July, your club is now 17-5.
• The 17-5 history in July gives the Sun rays a .773 winning percentage using one http://www.mlbplayeronline.com game left from the month. An 18-5 record would push that winning proportion to .783, which would stand as the 14th best for any This summer since 1914. Last season, this Rays posted an .808 profitable percentage in the month, for your third best since '14. With July 1941, the Yankees set the standard with a 25-4 record with an .862 winning percentage.
• This Come july 1st, Rays starting pitchers own a Only two.71 ERA -- the second most affordable for any starting staff for that month (behind the Padres' 3.35). Last season, Sun light starters posted a 2.Twenty-five ERA in http://www.mlbplayershop.com/SHOP_BY_LEAGUE/MLB_Pittsburgh_Pirates_Uniform_Shop, the 10th-lowest mark in this month for any club's starters in the live-ball years. The Padres' 2.35 might rank 17th.
Extra effort for Dodgers
Matt Kemp homered twice -- one of four Dodgers players with two extra-base hits since the team compiled nine completely -- and the Dodgers defeated the Braves, 8-4. The particular Dodgers had last seen 4 of their players have at least two extra-base hits in a nine-inning game on June 11, 1953, when Brooklyn's Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Carl Furillo and Gil Hodges each and every had a pair in a 9-6 gain against the http://www.lakingsplayerstore.com/. The Dodgers experienced last compiled at least seven extra-base hits in a game against the Braves on Aug. 29, 1954, in the second game of a doubleheader. In this contest - an 11-4 glory over Milwaukee -- Brooklyn collected six doubles and three homers.
Ross will be boss in July
Tyson Ross allowed a single run in six innings and also came away with his 10th win -- while lowering the ERA to 2.60 -- since San Diego defeated St. Louis, 3-1. Within July, Ross is 4-2 in 6-8 starts, and owns a 1 hour.10 ERA. Since 1914, Ross' One particular.10 ERA ties them with Dutch Ruether (1919) for the 32nd cheapest in a July for pitchers for a minimum of six starts. Over the past Fifty seasons, Ross' mark is the Nineteenth century lowest.